Coming into the hospital is pretty routine for me. I normally don't have too many issues putting my life on hold for a few weeks to get myself feeling 100%. This time has been very hard. I tried to take oral anti-biotic at home for 2 weeks hoping that would put whatever was stirring in my lungs to stop, it didn't work. It started with me just not feeling great, I wasn't feeling really bad. Then one morning while doing my therapy I started coughing up blood, not a lot, and it is common in CF with irritation from coughing or infection. Then fevers started to come in the mornings and at night unless I took ibuprofen every 6 hours. The blood would come and go through out the past 2 weeks along with the fevers. Yesterday I woke up feeling pretty crappy, had a fever and was coughing up blood again. I finally said this isn't working I need to go in.
Over the past 2 weeks I had mulled over several ways to avoid this and reasons I wanted to avoid it are legit!
Reason 1- Wanted to be home for Brad and Colton and the rest of my married family as they are going through the hardest of times right now.
Reason 2- Scared coming in a hospital full of sick people could actually make me sicker, don't know if you've heard but there's a flu epidemic!
Ways I thought I could avoid it.
1- Oral anti-biotic (tried, didn't work)
2- Do home IV's. This question has been posed to me in the past and again today. If I ever do home IV's. The answer is yes I do every time I am on them, but only for the last week of treatment. I have always stayed in the hospital for at least 2 weeks to start with. There are a couple reasons for this.
- When I start IV's I always feel worse before I feel better, the meds make me feel like I have been hit by a truck, all I do is treatments, eat, and sleep.
- My IV schedule is usually an IV anti-biotic every 6 hours, which usually equals out to be 6am, 12pm, 6pm, 12am. That schedule leaves me exhausted.
- I don't "stop" life to take care of me. I am a mom and a wife, if I was home it would be very hard for me not do anything and rest. I have a great support system at home thankfully, my parents can take Colton and take care of him when I'm in here, but it's not as easy to ask when your home.
- I have tried to do at IV's home only in the past when Colton was a baby, I never felt I got 100% out of the IV's because I just wouldn't rest.
The plan for my stay right now is to get results from my sputum culture and x-ray and go from there. I am resistant to a lot of anti-biotic and allergic to many others, it leaves very few that my bugs respond to. So I may have to be desensitized to a med I'm allergic to. It's just wait and see right now, in the time being I'm continuing the oral Cipro and starting IV Zosyn. I will update when I can.