Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Is my house making me sick?

There was some question as to whether my recent illness's were do to an environmental factor. Mainly my house. Everyone's first speculation is my dog's, this is not the cause I can pretty much be certain of that. I developed a reaction to cats when I was about 8, it was very sudden and it was clear that was the cause. That's how I know it's not my dog's, and to be honest I get irritated when someone suggest that it is, silly maybe, but my dog's are a part of my family and it feels as if they were accusing a family member of wrong doing. Wow, that sounds ridiculous when I typed it out, but that's how I feel so whatever, I guess I sound ridiculous! My first thought was there could be mold in my house causing me to be sick. In our master bathroom there was water damage in front of the shower from a leaky shower door, the floor was rotted and Brad had put his foot through it so there was a hole with rotted floor and not to mention the bathroom had carpet. Where you have rotted wood and moisture, you most likely have some sort of mold and mildew. It's been like that for a long time and should have been fixed. I don't primarily use that bathroom only at night to tinkle, Brad uses it, and I share the other bathroom with Colton. Well when I was clinic last month we had talked about all the factors and just trying to pin point a reason for my recent worsening in health. Environment was one question, and I brought the bathroom situation up to the doctor (BTW he agrees with me about the dog's very slim possibility). I never thought it was a cause, because it's been like that and I've lived here for 6 years. Then we went on vacation for 4 days and stayed in a hotel, I felt great the whole time. We came home and by that night my chest felt tight, and I started having lung pain. That's when I said okay maybe it is something in my house. I called my insurance company to get a recommendation for someone to inspect and fix it, it was not covered under my policy so they weren't able to cover any of the cost. I called the guy and he came out and said that there was not the toxic mold everyone thinks and hears about, but there was some mold, it wouldn't probably bother the average person but very well could irritate someone with allergies or lung issues. So we hired him to get rid of the mold and fix the floor, we were originally gonna just have him fix it and then Brad was going to put the new laminate wood floor down. But then Brad decided he didn't really want to do it because you have to take the toilet out and he'd never done that before. And this gentlemen is a jack of trades kind of guy, so we hired him to finish the floor too. I painted the walls last night so it would be done before the new floor went in. The color is called smoky blue, it's a darker blue, and I really like the way it turned out. He's finishing the floor now and it already looks really good. So I guess if it was causing me any health problems it won't anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely true! Mold can make you sick and being exposed to it all the time will only make your sickness even worse. It can cause sinus infections, chronic lung disease, asthma, brain damage, and even death. This is why it's very important to get rid of mold that form inside the house.
    - Diane Blackburn