Friday, June 17, 2011

Great Vacations = Great Memories


The Mighty Mac!

So when I posted my last blog I had intended to post about our wonderful vacation, and then that happen with Colton so I had to write about it. So here's my intended blog.

We live in mid Michigan, right near the center of the mite. Northern Michigan has always been a great place to get away, that's where Brad's and my parents took us on vacations as children(separate of course, we never knew each other until we were 20). So I wanted to take Colton on one of those vacations I remember as a child. Much like I have taken him to so many other places I loved as a kid. Now I only went to Mackinac Island once as a girl scout in 4th or 5th grade, never with the family. But we had many trips up north across the Mighty Mackinac Bridge, to many different places in the Upper Peninsula. We had intended on getting an early start around 8 am Tuesday morning, well we did not get out of bed until 8 am! Mind you we had little to nothing packed to go! We took our time getting around after that, I figured it's a vacation take your time don't stress out, everything is still gonna be there when you do get there. So we didn't end up leaving until around 2pm, and had to make a couple stops. Our destination was Mackinaw City which is on the south side of the Mackinac Bridge.

Now for a little history lesson, Mackinaw city chose to use the "aw" in the name of their city to define them as separate from Mackinac Island which along with the Bridge has the "ac" ending. But either way it is spelled it's still pronounced "aw". They say the Mackinac Bridge is 5 miles, but actually it's 20 feet short of 5 miles, most don't know that little fact. It's construction began in 1954 and took 42 months to complete, opening on November 1st, 1957. Total cost was upwards of $100 million, originally only estimated to cost around 70 million.

We arrived at our hotel around 6pm. Now it's about a 3 hour trip from our house, we had a few stops before even hitting the highway. And then for the first hiccup in our trip, we were about a mile from a rest area and I told Brad to stop there well he kicked it in high gear to get around a motorcycle and low and behold a cop was sitting at the bottom of the hill right before the rest area...BUSTED! He knew he was hit so he pulled over immediately, before he even turned on his lights! Told the officer what had happen, told the cop how fast he thought he was going, ended up being 90 MPH in a 70 zone! Brad has a clean record, and the cop was nice enough to only write him for 5 over that way he would keep his clean record, but ended up costing $105.00! Nice added expense to the trip..NOT! I could think of at least 10 things better we could have done with that $$! I still had to pee! So we went to the rest area took a break and stretched the legs, we were about 40 miles from Mackinaw City. We didn't do much the first night, relaxed in our room, went out for supper and took a swim in the pool and hot tub. Oh that was another thing when we checked in the clerk said well your room is actually booked right in a bus group full of kids! So we can upgrade you to a suite for $20 extra a night? Sure why not it's our vacation right?! So once we got to the room it was really nice. Now I want you to remember how many bags I need just for me..4! That's right I have to haul 3 bags plus a travel O2 concentrator. So he tells us after we are all booked and checked in... you go to the elevator take it to the 3rd floor, your on the 4th and the elevator doesn't go up there so you have to take 2 flights of stairs to your room! Seriously? That's exactly what came out of my mouth! But I didn't want to mess around, and Brad's a big guy I figured we only got to haul it up once and down once 4 days later, we could deal. Not realizing the stair way and halls past the 3rd floor were not air conditioned, it was 80 degrees that day! We were pretty sweaty once we got there, and the room was hot at first but the air worked good and cooled it pretty fast. But it was a really nice room! 2 room suite with a jacuzzi in the bathroom, and a nice balcony. The hotel over all was really great, had a wonderful full bar breakfast, pool, hot tub, gym, and private beach.


Oops, too many bubbles in the Jacuzzi!

This is longer then I intended so I think I'll stop here and do a part 2 over the weekend sometime :) Tune back in for the other 3 days of our vacation with more "hiccups"!

No comments:

Post a Comment